Monday 28 January 2013

1822 Map of Ramsgate, Map Monday



I have just printed a few of my next large format map, by large format I mean it is about three feet by about two foot six inches.

As it is a black and white one it doesn’t use as much ink as the 1849 one so I am pricing it at £6.99.



The only map of Ramsgate I know of that predates this one is the one found in Lewis’s history and dates from about 1723.

So while the 1723 one is really Ramsgate’s Mappa Mundi the 1822 one is really the first map of Ramsgate produced from a proper survey.

Here in my bookshop people often ask me for much earlier maps, the latest being have I got a Saxon map of Thanet i.e one dating from the fourth or fifth century.  



The first maps date from about 1300 this is one of the world  


This detail shows the UK bit, I don’t have much trouble with the Latin Londinium for London and Durovernum Cantiacorum or Cantuaria for Canterbury I have marked this one up as things could be although you can make your own minds up.

As you see it is the problem often associated with the early confused period of history, you can see roughly where the people who were alive at the time were coming from, but obviously the past is a foreign country.   



All of the maps should expand when clicked on and possibly the expanded version will expand if you click on it again.   

3 comments:

  1. Hope you will still have a copy of the map by the time I next get down to Thanet. BTW I don't think it loses anything by being in black and white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. od save our great Cunt! our Queen!
      For ever may she reign,
      Supreme o'er all!
      Her praises we will sound,
      True bliss in her is found,
      She long ago was crowned,
      Queen of the world!

      Delete
    2. god save our great Cunt! our Queen!
      For ever may she reign,
      Supreme o'er all!
      Her praises we will sound,
      True bliss in her is found,
      She long ago was crowned,
      Queen of the world!

      Delete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.