Tuesday, 12 July 2016

Who’s Who in Ramsgate in 1839

I imagine that those of you who use my bookshop will know I publish cheap reprints of directories to the Thanet towns for various dates. The main reason for this is helping people with seat of the pants local history right down to the person or the building.

They provide the answer to where did granny, great granny or even great great granny live and the answer to who lived in my house a hundred years ago. I also have these for sale on bookshop website at http://michaelsbookshop.com/catalogue/the_isle_of_thanet.htm

The earliest Ramsgate directory that I know of is Pigot and Co.’s published in September of 1839, I should point out here that house numbering before 1900 changed quite a bit as the town expanded and the rating officer renumbered a longer street, so if you find an address in this directory you would need to look at the directories that I publish for 1849, 1878 and 1887 and compare with the 1900 one, otherwise you will probably be venerating the wrong building.


Only the select got into directories at that time, the ordinary people didn’t – probably couldn’t read and didn’t care. So the directory is very short, here it is, you may need to click on the pictures of the paged to make them big enough to read.  






2 comments:

  1. Dear Michael
    I have followed your blog with great interest for the last two and half years I have lived in Thanet. Today I left the isle and shortly will leave for a new life in New Zealand. You have always been very interesting and informative about local issues if prone to the occasional ramble.
    Many thanks for the time and effort you put into your blog, most would give up in despair when dealing with Thanet District Council.
    I wish you well and will continue to follow you from down under
    Many thanks
    Cheers
    Malcolm Walker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Malcolm, I will do my best to keep it up.

    ReplyDelete

Please note comments that may be libellous, comments that may be construed as offensive, anonymous derogatory comments about real people, comments baiting internet trolls, comments saying that an anonymous comment was made by a named real person, boring comments and spam comments, comments in CAPs will be deleted. Playground stuff like calling real people by their time stamp or surname alone, referring to groups as gangs, old duffers and so on will result in deletion. Comment that may be construed as offensive to minority groups is not allowed here either, so think before you write it, remember that the internet is a public place, that it is very difficult to be truly anonymous and that everyone who uses it leaves a trail of some sort. Also note the facility to leave anonymous comment will be turned of during periods when I am unable to monitor comment, this will not affect people commenting who are signed on to their blogger accounts. When things are particularly difficult on the commercial spam front I may turn comment moderation on for periods.

If you feel that someone has left a comment that is offensive and directed at you personally please email me (link on the sidebar) asking to have it removed, you will need to tell which post and the date and timestamp of the offending comment. Please do not reply to the offending comment as I will assume you continuing the dialogue as meaning that you want the comments left there.