Sunday 27 November 2016

Some old pictures of Ramsgate and some thoughts about painting people in public places.

I have been busy decorating children’s bedrooms so haven’t had time for posting things to the internet, so apologies for the absences of stuff here.


I had to go to Canterbury on Saturday and stopped of for an hour for lunch at Chocolate Café I was going to get a seat upstairs and do some more to this picture of the cathedral framed in the window there but it was very busy, the only table I could get was in the window by the pavement by the bar where they make and serve the food from.


So here is a sketch of two of the waitresses, nothing like a photo but none the less the results are highly recognisable particularly to the individuals being drawn. A sort of mix up of different profiles of them as they move about within this area.

Being in the window and right by where customers come to pay the sketch had to be done with lots of people watching, which gave me some sort of adrenaline rush or something like that.

The sketch is a mixture of felt tip fine liner pen (Pitt XS) and watercolour, fairly quick – one hour to eat a hot sandwich, drink a pot of tea and do the sketch, about A5 size.

Generally a good step towards putting recognisable local people into my sketches of the area, I think – which is the direction that I want to go in painting wise. A tricky one as you never really know how – the victims, for want of a better word are going to react.

On the bookshop front, the books that went out on the shelves on Saturday, presumably representative of the books we would probably sell on an average November Saturday, over the counter here in Ramsgate, here is the link http://michaelsbookshop.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/fools-of-fortune-in-book-shop.html  

And Finally some more old pictures of Ramsgate






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.