Monday 23 January 2017

A few more Margate and Ramsgate pictures from around 1904 and another sketch in the cathedral crypt and more thoughts on technology and shops.

Running a bookshop and publishing local history books about East Kent involvse a lot of chatting to people and I suppose what the local in the shop are talking about influences what I write about.

Our best-selling book during the last week has been the new edition of Old Ramsgate Pubs, see http://thanetonline.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/old-ramsgate-pubs-new-edition-moon.html  

And yes while most of the talk in the bookshop has been about local history, there has been a lot more about technology, Kindle v book v e-book and so on.

A fair bit of what do I think from people has made me think more about what I do think about the various new technologies and where the conventional paper book sits in life.

There can be no doubt that reading a paper book is a different experience to reading the same thing on some piece of electronic equipment, but the amount of difference depends on some factors. The reader, the book, something else to do with getting a break from technology and the price of new books, secondhand books and books as various digital files.

My own take on all of this is pretty much, don’t stop reading conventional books, but do keep up with all of the technology as best you can within the limits of what you can afford.

Personally and I think because much of my work involves using either a smartphone, tablet or computer, the reading of conventional paper books has become something of leisure high point. 

Anyway for the dedicated followers here are the pictures of the books that went out in my bookshop today http://michaelsbookshop.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/dance-dance-dance-in-bookshop.html I would think about half of them are probably available as some sort of electronic file.

Next the old Ramsgate and Margate adverts.  








And finally another sketch in Canterbury Cathedral Crypt, I still can’t tell if they are getting better or worse but feel something is happening.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.