Sunday, 15 January 2017

Watercolour, Canterbury Cathedral Crypt, following the footsteps of JWM Turner.

Once again today I found myself drawn to painting the inside of Canterbury Cathedral, I am not really a superstitious person but to me it feels like the cathedral somehow wants to be painted and I find myself drawn from sitting in a comfortable café sketching the view or the people inside and today sitting on a very hard pew trying to sketch from a crazy angle.


Several watercolour sketches down in the crypt but this one today I am fairly happy with.

When I got home I googled watercolour of Canterbury Cathedral Crypt the only one that I liked more was the pencil and wash by JWM Turner.



This is nothing to do with the quality of the paintings, which were all much better than my attempt the problem was that the others didn’t look or feel like the crypt at Canterbury Cathedral.


The main thing I have been trying to paint down there are the wall paintings that are about a thousand years old in Gabriel Chapel, you aren’t allowed to photograph these although plenty of photos come up if you google them. The entrance to this chapel was bricked up about 900 years ago and wasn’t discovered until around 1880 so wasn’t there in Turner’s time.

As you can see my attempt at paining this bit isn’t going too badly but then it isn’t going that well either.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note comments that may be libellous, comments that may be construed as offensive, anonymous derogatory comments about real people, comments baiting internet trolls, comments saying that an anonymous comment was made by a named real person, boring comments and spam comments, comments in CAPs will be deleted. Playground stuff like calling real people by their time stamp or surname alone, referring to groups as gangs, old duffers and so on will result in deletion. Comment that may be construed as offensive to minority groups is not allowed here either, so think before you write it, remember that the internet is a public place, that it is very difficult to be truly anonymous and that everyone who uses it leaves a trail of some sort. Also note the facility to leave anonymous comment will be turned of during periods when I am unable to monitor comment, this will not affect people commenting who are signed on to their blogger accounts. When things are particularly difficult on the commercial spam front I may turn comment moderation on for periods.

If you feel that someone has left a comment that is offensive and directed at you personally please email me (link on the sidebar) asking to have it removed, you will need to tell which post and the date and timestamp of the offending comment. Please do not reply to the offending comment as I will assume you continuing the dialogue as meaning that you want the comments left there.