Sunday 15 January 2017

Watercolour, Canterbury Cathedral Crypt, following the footsteps of JWM Turner.

Once again today I found myself drawn to painting the inside of Canterbury Cathedral, I am not really a superstitious person but to me it feels like the cathedral somehow wants to be painted and I find myself drawn from sitting in a comfortable café sketching the view or the people inside and today sitting on a very hard pew trying to sketch from a crazy angle.


Several watercolour sketches down in the crypt but this one today I am fairly happy with.

When I got home I googled watercolour of Canterbury Cathedral Crypt the only one that I liked more was the pencil and wash by JWM Turner.



This is nothing to do with the quality of the paintings, which were all much better than my attempt the problem was that the others didn’t look or feel like the crypt at Canterbury Cathedral.


The main thing I have been trying to paint down there are the wall paintings that are about a thousand years old in Gabriel Chapel, you aren’t allowed to photograph these although plenty of photos come up if you google them. The entrance to this chapel was bricked up about 900 years ago and wasn’t discovered until around 1880 so wasn’t there in Turner’s time.

As you can see my attempt at paining this bit isn’t going too badly but then it isn’t going that well either.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.