Monday 20 November 2017

Some thoughts on Pleasurama and a few old photos of Ramsgate.



We are getting another round of the Pleasurama development will start which is always interesting, although whether interesting in the sense of the curse. "May you live in interesting times." Well a bit of a moot point there.    
 My take on the Peasurama development if built to the various existing plans that the council says have a valid planing consent is :-

1 I don't really think anyone knows just how high the development would be when built out relative to the cliff top where Wellington Gardens is.

I have asked questions like. When standing by the bandstand will it be possible to see the horizon? and have never had adaquate answers, either from the various developers or the council.

2 I don't think it would be easy to deal with the cliff wall with the building so close to it. To expand on the the concrete cliff wall is between 80 and 40 years old, different parts built mostly after different cliff falls and some of it not as thick as it should be according to the main survey.

The major survey report 2005 concluded that the structure had a short serviceable life and needed urgent repairs due to visible defects, since then there have been two lots of repairs.

Essentially the cliff wall will have to be replaced before any new development wears out and the cost of doing this in the very narrow gap between the cliff and the development would be very large and paid for by TDC i.e. us. Here is the link to the survey

3 The site is designated a high risk flood zone by the Environment agency. It is made up of the old beach that once reached all the way from the sea to the cliff, when the tunnel was dug the chalk spoil was heaped on the beach to raise the level for the station.

The henge like posts that the developer has already put there to support the development are supported by concrete pads sitting on the old beach and the sea defence that holds all this in place dates from 1860.

The Environment Agency wrote to the council and the developer recommending a safety assessment, this is a link to their letter

I would think it would be very hard to get a mortgage to buy one of the apartments without this fra wosisname.
Here in the bookshop we put some more books on the shelves. This is the link to them


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.