Thursday 2 November 2017

Harbour Parade and Pier Yard Ramsgate, 100 out and about in Faversham photos, ramble, well maybe.

This part of Ramsgate changed considerably between 1872 and 1914, I think this was mainly due to Ramsgate getting its own government after having been governed as a "limb" by the decayed Cinque Port of Sandwich since the middle ages.   

Apart from the building of the Military road arches and Madeira Walk, major projects which caused much complaint from the ratepayers association, many of the building in Harbour parade and Pier Yard were demolished and some new ones built.


Tuesdays post https://thanetonline.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/the-police-station-with-hole-in-it-at.html and my internal clock going the wrong way at the weekend, means I have been up early painting at Pav and Belgian Café  and this has contributed to focusing my mind on this part of Ramsgate.

I have been digging around in my heaps of old photos and although the one above will expand a certain amount if clicked on
The detail is in the devil if you crop it out.
The buildings you want to see get in the way of the buildings you want to see
fascinating and irritating all at the same time

 Just found these two sketches by JWM Turner both titled "Ramsgate Harbour from the North-West; Pier Castle" on big and one little so only one will expand. Whoops same picture different scans




Ok off into the more off the wall areas


Some time ago I sketched a local character, guess who.



And the other morning he sketched me, and I promised to publish both sketches here, after which I promptly forgot about it.  

I have been off bookbuying in Faversham where I took about 100 photos, here is the link http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/1017l/id8.htm whole camera card, so don’t look at the ones you don’t want to see

Another load of the Dutch stained glass in Canterbury too. Much more difficult to photograph so a much larger proportion of duff ones, it starts with a few Ramsgate ones, here is the link http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/1017l/id6.htm

Bookshop wise here are the pictures of the books that went out yesterday, a fair amount of East Kent ones, so perhaps worth a look http://michaelsbookshop.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/chatter-in-bookshop.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.