Sunday 21 October 2007

Birchington Great War patriotic Record

Click here to see more pages from the book

Please leave comments related to the book and the people mentioned in it.








The following is by Parish Archivist Jennie Burgess.

“For many years, there has been a large red book in the glass case near Quex Chapel in All Saints Church, Birchington. The book is hand made and beautifully illuminated, containing both text and photographs, and is totally unique. It contains a record of how the people of the village of Birchington responded to the events of the 1914 – 1918 War.

Because the book is irreplaceable, it has been felt that it should not be left in such a vulnerable position, but before it was placed into safe keeping, the pages have all been scanned.




As a result of studying the contents of these pages, some amazing facts have emerged about the life of this enterprising and caring community during those difficult times. Men like Major Powell-Cotton of Quex Park, who oversaw the care of the hundreds of wounded sent to Birchington and Major George F. Holland of 'Clovelly', Berkeley Road, who ran the military side of things in the village and then undertook to write this book at the end of the war.

It is a pity that a similar enterprise was not undertaken after the 2nd World War, for that same spirit was clearly as evident then, as it is now. Our community of Birchington is one of which to feel justly proud, and the old book gives us ample evidence of this.”

Many thanks to Jennie and Birchington PCC for allowing me to produce a facsimile of this attractive and interesting work.

The pictures are pages from the book.

8 comments:

  1. I would like to thank you sincerely for uploading this booklet. My grandmother Lorna Lockyer lived with her family at Bridgwater Lodge, Epple Bay Road in Birchington during the Great War and is mentioned several times in the book for her roles in the community and as a motor driver for the flying corps. What a wonderful insight into her life at that time. Sadly she died in 1940 and we never got to meet her and are only now discovering her life. Thanks again Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paula glad you liked it sorry the link to the rest of the booklet was broken I have fixed it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michael ,Lorna Lockyer was my Aunt ,my father Ivan John Casima was Lorna's brother who also lived with the Family at Bridgewater Lodge Epple Bay Road ,I would love to read this book ,also would love to contact Paula as we lost touch with any of Lorna's relations after her death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry meant to put my name Iris Adams ,thanks

      Delete
    2. Hi Lorna I don’t have contact details for Paula, but if you email me michaelchild@aol.com I will send it to a few Birchinton contacts who may have, the book is available from http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/catalogue/birchington_great_war_patriotic_record_.htm

      Delete
    3. Sorry busy day and I got a bit jumbled up with the names the above comment should have started Hi Iris

      Delete
  4. Hi Michael thankyou for your reply i will email you a message ,i also meant to put my father's name was Ivan John Casima Lockyer ,we also have photos of Lorna Lockyer .thankyou again from Iris Adams [nee Lockyer]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michael, I have only just seen this post from last April. This is Paula. I shall forward my email address and would be very grateful if you could pass it on the Iris Adams.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.