Thursday 25 October 2007

The Pen is Mitre Than the Sword?

BLOG FOR ‘THE PETRIFIED HAYSTACK OF BROADSTAIRS’

When Nick Evans’ book about Broadstairs was advertised in ‘Thanet Extra’ it was said to be the first book about the town to be published for 15 years. Which is odd, since I distinctly remember writing ‘Petrified’ (along with its companion ‘The Small Happy Family of Broadstairs’) only a year ago. Indeed the ‘Extra’ wrote a review about it –
If I had known the effect that these small, inoffensive booklets would have on my career I would never have written them.

They were based on some research that I had done for the 175th anniversary of Holy Trinity Church, Broadstairs (Dicken’s ‘petrified haystack’), and I thought would provide a light-hearted look, both at the history of the church, and of the town it was built to serve. Little did I realise that the church was incapable of taking a light-hearted look at itself, or its history.

I had returned to the town of my childhood in order to regain my health and vocation as a Church of England priest. I had spent several years working part-time for Oxfam and the Red Cross whilst recovering from a major road accident which nearly killed me. In Broadstairs I thought that I would find a caring church where I could exercise some form of ministry and eventually return to a responsible position in the Christian community. I was therefore both surprised and greatly saddened to discover that I was not welcome in the parish church. Even when their Vicar left for a new job my offers of help were refused. I never had my letters answered. The Bishop and Archdeacon refused to meet with me. I was treated as an outsider even though I attended services regularly. In the end I became so desperate as I saw my life slipping away that had to take a post in Yorkshire in order to find the acceptance and encouragement that I needed.
And the reason for this very non-Christian behaviour? Because I had written something that offended them in one of these two little books.
So, read them yourselves…and if you find something so offensive that you would not let a priest do his job then write to Michael’s Bookshop and he will pass it on.

Bob Simmonds

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.