Friday 16 May 2008

Keble's Penny Guide to Margate and the Isle of Thanet 1885

Another old Thanet Guide book that I publish a cheap reprint of for you all today, I have just put a fair amount of it up on the web, the pages are about the same size as the original.

Many thanks to Norman Munn, who is encouraging me to produce more Margate material, for lending me the original copy of this and other Margate publications to copy for publication.

Originals of Keble’s penny guides are very frail items just a careful read tends to make them fall to pieces, so it was with great pleasure that I was able to produce a more durable edition.

I hope the cover picture of Margate is about the right date frankly I am better at dating this sort of thing in Ramsgate.

It may be of some interest to know that the original copy was a printer’s proof this meant that all of the advertisements had been crossed through with pen. It was something of a labour of love to make them presentable for printing. The pencil notes showed the price of advertising in the original 30/- per page i.e. £1.50 straight conversion or about £30 at today’s value.

One further thought is that I am hoping to find a shop in the centre of Margate to sell my publications, especially the ones about Margate.

Click here to read some of this guide

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.