Sunday 20 July 2008

Westgate-on-Sea Guide

We have just finished this little Westgate-on-Sea Guide (circa 1923) it’s coming out of the printer now and should be ready on Monday.

The original is owned by Julian Smith and was scanned by James Brazier who then sent it to me as a computer file, for publication, many thanks to them for their kindness, enabling us all to have a copy.

As with many of these guides the advertisements, that funded the original publication, have now become important documents for those of interested in the history of the Isle of Thanet.

I am afraid due to my own incompetence I don’t have the contact details of Julian Smith and James Brazier, so I am unable to send them some free copies of the book.

So if either of you read this please email me

2 comments:

  1. Amazing how little the seafront area has changed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From your sample pages I see we used to enjoy 'a perfect system of drainage' and 'a constant supply of pure water' here on the island.

    How ironic then that, after more than 80 years of progress, we're possibly about to get a constant supply of impure water, thanks to CGP's imperfect system of drainage!

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.