Friday 9 December 2022

Pulhamite outcroppings on the edges of Ramsgate and Margate

Here in Thanet I would say the most well-known Pulhamite rock structure is Madeira Walk waterfall which dates from the 1890s.

The following 3 pictures are of West cliff chine or to give it its proper name "Courtstairs Chine" in Ramsgate this dates from the mid 1920s, opened by the Prince of Wales in November 1926. The work was planned and undertaken between 1924 and 1926 and initially designed in 1922 by BB Franklin and Basil C Deacon and executed by Deacon.




It takes you to the Western undercliff.


This next Pulhamite outcropping is Newgate gap Cliftonville on the edge of Margate. This one dates from 1901 and has the date inscribed on it

It takes you to the beach at Newgate Gap
Newgate gap was originally named Devil's Gap.

There are a lot of gaps around Thanet, they started out as man-made cuts through the chalk for the farmers to get seaweed up from the beach to use as fertiliser. 

Ramsgate is one of the few exceptions here the gap between the chalk cliffs was originally made by rivers. These rivers date from the ice ages long before Thanet was an island. Or for that matter long before the UK was islands. map So when Ramsgate was about 400 miles inland.

Here at Michael's Bookshop in Ramsgate, where I am writing this blog post between customers, there are definite signs of Christmas bookshoping. I think that with all the current economic and environmental concerns a secondhand book takes a lot of beating when it comes to a Christmas present.

You can keep an eye on our newly arrived stock by checking on our blog where we put the books we price and put out for sale every day the shop is open. 


On the art front I haven't had much time to paint and draw recently, I do put Idea sketches that may become watercolour paintings into my A6 sketchbook and even put some on my Facebook page 


This one, I guess something along the lines of wondering what was outside Plato's cave and could it be what was inside Plato's cave?

Anyway one way or another it really is quite difficult to draw a head inside head once you've had the idea that is what you want to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.