Wednesday 1 March 2023

Two new Thanet local books and a ramble

Sorry I haven't posted anything for a while, I have been busy with work-related to Michael's Bookshop here in Ramsgate. Mainly buying and selling secondhand books which is what we do most of.

We normally sell about 100 books a day and that means we have to buy about 120 books a day to replace them. Something around 20% of the books we buy don't sell.

You can keep a check on this as we put pictures of all the books that we price on the bookshop blog here is a link

Other major activity is producing local history books and these are split into reprints of books at already been in print and new publications about Thanet local history.

Reading this you are probably familiar with our reprints of old local guides, back before the pandemic I got permission from Richard Styles the then town clerk to reprint some of the old Ramsgate guide books that are still in copyright.

It's taken a lot of time and money but this is now coming to fruition

these next few pictures are from the 1966 guide, you can come and browse it here at Michael's Bookshop in Ramsgate or buy it online here is the link













The next one will be the Ramsgate guide for 1962 as you can see from the pictures from it below we still have quite a lot of work to do particularly enhancing the pictures.










The other new publication is Remembering Margate Jetty and The Marine Palace by Martin Easdown who is the author of various National Piers Society books here is the online link






As I said I haven't had the spare time to engage with the internet social media


I've started a new watercolour painting in wetherspoon's aka the royal Victoria pavilion
I have started doing a bit of preparatory work for some photos particularly of Ramsgate the photo above seems to be about the best camera and the photo below about the best phone camera both taken from the same place

I am still doing a fair amount of painting and drawing which I put on my Facebook page here is the link



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.