Monday 25 February 2013

Margate main Post Office set to close and a ramble.


This seems to be the main local story today, although there doesn’t seem to be any mention of this on the other local blogs. I think the idea is that it will move into one of the shops in the High Street.

I tried hard to make sense of the post on the Thanet Labour blog http://thanetlab.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/bad-food.html I mean what does “Fidel Castro got it right. One kilo of mixed white rice and black beans ('Moros y Cristianos'), peas and potatoes, were issued monthly to all families, free, - the 'libreta' -  with subsidised prices for chicken, eggs, milk and coffee. Cubans were lean and fit. It is gradually disappearing with the benefit of capitalism.” Actually mean. 

Meanwhile the local voice of Conservativism is onto a sure-fire vote winner opposing the very small council grants to Margate Caves and Ramsgate Tunnels http://birchington.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/enter-clangars.html you have to hand it to local politicians they really have their fingers on the pulse.    

Cllr Driver has gone of in loco pontifex maximus moving beyond the dodgy world of the curate and the choirboy into an exploration of cardinal sins, as he is now tri postulate I await the quadrapost with interest. http://driversthanet.blogspot.co.uk excrucius retium perhaps.


On the other hand not four fingers and a thump but drivers nemesis http://johnhamilton3rd.blogspot.co.uk/ here the plot to overthrow driver truly thickens musae furcillis praecipitem eiciunt.

Sorry about this reading through the local blogs seems to havemade me light headed


It’s all very well saying there is no white smoke without fire or there is white smoke without fire, but and seriously here I look to the local blogs for local issues and if our local priests start misbehaving again, and if you could follow the latin here, archbishop William Wake kept a private notebook which is Canterbury cathedral library, this is what he has to say about our clergy of 300 years ago.


"Patten of Whitstable kept a mistress and did not pay his debts; Bourn of Ash was "allied to the sons of Eli" ; Roberts of Queenborough, ale-house sot and debtor, "so impudent as nothing is like him"; Bate of Chilham, "proudest and stiffest man" in the diocese, allowing corpses to lie unburied for want of fees; Burroughs of Kingston, "most horribly covetous" ; Ansell of Stowting and Cade of Sellindge, Jacobites and taven-brawlers; Edward Dering of Charing who fought his own sister at the Swan Inn and threw her "head-cloaths" into the fire; Hobbs of Dover, who amassed pluralities; Isles of New Romney a notorious sot and Jacobite; Nicholls of Fordwich who preached that George was a Foreigner, a Lutheran, and a Beggar-"a wicked, swearing. Lying, Drunken man".  


Well yes I guess a Thanet blog post.
I will ramble on here as I try to catch up on the Thanet blogs.  

26 comments:

  1. I vote for moving the Post Office into the Turner and then their subsidy can be reduced. How many shops are suitable and will be open for the next 10 years? Maybe Tesco can offer the PO space when they build.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Can’t be done Man of Kent, it would be impossible to determine what was post office and what was exhibit.

      Delete
    2. tesco to take over P.O.building turn it into metro store with P.O.counter

      Delete
    3. Unfortunately this seems quite a common thing now: Canterbury PO is in W.H. Smiths, Herne Bay PO is in Co-Op, Birchington & Westgate POs are in chemists, etc. I guess this is better than them disappearing altogether though.

      Delete
  2. As the "Voice of Labour" in Ramsgate Michael, You misunderstand me Michael and I'm sure deliberately too!

    I would welcome the opening of the caves and the tunnels. As David Green will, I'm sure verify, I even supported a feasibility study for the latter at his request.

    No, what I'm saying is that at a time when public services are being cut to save money, rather than an arbitrary and generous gesture of £20,000 without any supporting statement of investment rationale from the Cabinet, I would simply like to know how the money will be spent and what this will achieve? Could £20,000 be spent elsewhere to immediate local benefit or is this simply gesture politics? What is the combined cost of opening both attractions and where will the money come from and indeed when if the Council is in no position to subsidise the projects?

    Does anyone know? Perhaps Cllr Driver can start a new crusade?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simon I think you underestimate my situation, like most local businessmen trying to run independent shops in Thanet I have gone way past Labour and have now joined a Stalinist Leninist cell, we chant “the light at the end of the tunnel is a train coming the other way” so perhaps we will get a grant too.

      Delete
  3. Glad to receive your support Simon, I trust you will continue that support at the council meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is the latest news on Westcliff Hall and the Pav?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Westcliff Hall gets a grant for a survey to see if it will collapse or support a local theatre. The Pav is subject to negotiations as the parties involved try to acquire the freehold from the council.

      Delete
  5. You have my support of course but as local government is in a very poor funding position, it's only proper to ask where the money is being spent and on what and for what public return?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The initial aims will be to increase security and reduce TDC liability to a deteriorating asset, together with provision of public access under strict safety supervision.

      Delete
    2. Thankyou. I will sleep better now.

      Delete
    3. Driver is annoying, but at least he's not completely out of touch with local feeling like Moore is! Jeez...

      Delete

  6. turn the pav into ice skating rink problem solved or lets have one built on the wasted areas at new haine road but neather will happen because its what the people of planet thanet want???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wrong shape IM you would keep bumping into the pillars that hold up the domed roof, it just isn't big enough for a standard sized ice rink.

      Delete
  7. In other words Ken, £10,000 securing a hole in the ground to reduce Council liability for the danger it presents to trespassing members of the public?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simon, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but over 1000 members of the public have signed up to be "Friends of Ramsgate Tunnels", probably more than elected you into your current position.

      Delete
  8. I think, Mr Moores, that the "Hole in the Ground" you refer to, represents hope that this will one day be part of an overall visitor experience.

    And is this not typical of the history and inventiveness of the area in which we reside? The most important aspect of this is that the idea has come from residents, and not a councillor and professional elite.

    But it would seem to me that our "Hole in the Ground" is incomparable to the bottomless pit that is EKO, which to date has only really benefited the wealthy professional classes to any significant degree.

    I think your discourse with Ken has ran its course, and I think it is time you were answerable to me and my kind for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a couple of visitor experiences exploring the tunnels as a child in the early fifties.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Other people here have mentioned the big tourist attraction that is Chiselhurst Caves, something that was certainly the case when I lived in nearby Mottingham some years back. Hart & co should be applauded for at least giving a little bit of funding, and who knows, this may be enough to tempt private enterprise to invest in them?

    Don't take too much notice of Simon's estimates to how much they'll need, I recall him vastly inflating figures for Margate Caves a year or two back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would not normally bother responding to him but for the fact others are influenced by his nonsense.

    I have been to Ramsgate Society Meetings, including ones they facilitate to give Laura Sandys a platform to speak. And the impression I came away with is dedicated people at all levels beavering away to produce a cogent business plan for the area.

    The role of business, as you rightly point out Peter, is being given careful consideration in seeking a trade off between the aspirations of business, and the aspirations of the local community. The stumbling block here, of course, is the secrecy surrounding the Pleaurama Development Agreement, which makes no reference to the aspirations of local people.

    Over the past few weeks, I have witnessed that Michael has displayed the patience of Job, in trying to get the leaders of both main political parties to see sense and get their support in trying to persuade the Developers that it is in their, and our, interests to get round the negotiating table. And I tell you here and now, if that becomes a reality, I want a seat round that table along with Michael.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When people start engaging in perceived intelligent debate with one liner, Moores hating Peter, you know the world has gone mad!

      Delete
    2. How many lines did you use?

      Delete
    3. Touché, mon ami, such wit so late at night!

      Delete
  12. Does your blog have a contact page? I'm having problems locating it but, I'd
    like to shoot you an e-mail. I've got some creative ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great website and I look forward to seeing it improve over time.

    Look at my web site: youtube thumbs up bot

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.