Friday 9 January 2009

Don't suffer in silence

Thanet district Council press release

Victims of domestic abuse in Thanet are being urged to make a new year’s resolution and report the crime.

A new campaign has been launched by the Thanet Domestic Abuse Forum, which urges victims to call if they are suffering. It is also aimed at friends, who may know people who are in abusive relationship.

The campaign uses material including posters, beer mats, radio and newspaper adverts to get the message across to encourage people that they need to “break it, stop it, beat it… or it will all end in tears”. Thorley Taverns are supporting this campaign by placing materials in all their establishments across Thanet.

Domestic Abuse Service Coordinator Dee Neligan said: “We know domestic abuse rises over the festive season and we’re expecting that increase to even higher this year, with the current economic situation. The message is simple. There’s no excuse for domestic abuse and victims shouldn’t suffer in silence. There is help out there and it’s just a phone call away. If you, or anyone you knows, needs help, then just pick up the phone and call.”

Always call 999 in an emergency. You can also call the Kent Domestic Violence Information Line on 0845 603 6813, the National Domestic Violence helpline on 0808 2000 247 or the Men’s Advice Line on 0808 801 0327.

1 comment:

  1. Michael, I would like to highlight the fact that Men can be the victim of abuse in a relationship. It may not be 'Manly' but it is certainly no 'weakness' to admit that your partner is a bully.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.