Tuesday 20 January 2009

School Supremo with Laura in Thanet

Laura Sandys press release

Michael Gove, the Shadow secretary of State for Education, came down to see Laura to discuss Thanet and Sandwich’s education. “While Thanet and Sandwich have some of the best schools, we are committed to ensure that the many young people who are leaving school without the skills for work achieve much more,” said Michael.


We have a clear action plan for education:


· Discipline: Power needs to be given back to our head teachers


· Devolution: Whitehall should not be controlling everything in schools. It does not work!


· Dumbing Up: We need to put standards at the heart of our education system – no more dumbing down


It is important that our young people come out of school with skills that matter to local businesses – that reading, writing and maths are the heart of our education system. We have many talented young people who are not academic but have a huge amount to offer society. However without the basic skills their opportunities are reduced!


“I think that Laura has a vision for East Kent – the hub for green collar work – green technology companies; new businesses with a bright future. We need to ensure that our young people have the work skills to take up these great opportunities, “said Michael.


Brown’s Britain: Education has let down our young people: Report by OECD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.