Monday 11 April 2016

Sailing Barges Around the Thanet Area a Monday Morning Tussle With Local History Books in the Bookshop in Ramsgate.






















 This was the first book I priced this morning and I thought before I put it on the shelf I would copy the local photos out of it as I have an interest in the local small craft that used to move the goods about in this area.

The evolution of the trading vessels over the last thousand years or more from something based on the Viking long boat to the sailing barge in around 1800 is an interesting one.

The main thing about these barges is that the mast comes down and goes up very quickly to get under bridges, as shown in video


and the keel comes up to get through shallow water. 


 This the next one, which shows you can get an interesting local history book that is over 100 years old for less than a tenner.


 After that I gave up photographing inside the books and got on with the pile
 to feed our local history section which had lots of gaps after Saturday

 These were the more expensive ones

 Two Margate books next the one on the left selling for £8 which is no surprise, the one on the right has gone up from last time I priced one about a year ago at £6 to £30 at the moment and given a month or two will probably go down to about half of that.
Finally two for me, a 1929 Ramsgate guide that I will do an affordable reprint of, the one on the right bought online last year proved to have pages missing which stumped me, and the one on the left bought last week seems to be all there.

Here is the link to our cheap reprints of local books, post free if you can’t get out to look at them in my bookshop http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/id17.htm

And here is the link to my bookshop blog, where we put pictures of the books going out on the shelves for sale every day http://michaelsbookshop.blogspot.co.uk/  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.