Saturday 2 April 2016

Watercolour sketch of Herne Bay Clock Tower from Wetherspoons, ramble about Kentish architecture.

Another day out looking at books and buying a few, this one didn’t come to much and having meandered easterly along the north Kent coast I arrived in Herne Bay and was soon finished with the book business.

I should stress that those who remained in my bookshop put in a fine days work, local history books printed, our new publication about Thanet Benchmarks should be available in my bookshop on Monday, the printer that prints the book covers has been replaced and last but not least here are the books that went out on the shelves today http://michaelsbookshop.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/goosebumps-horrorland-in-bookshop.html

The Clock House in Herne Bay, like so many of the more interesting structures in Kent has been rubbished by Newman sic Pevsner in Penguin’s famous Buildings of England series, to the extent that it is worth a journey to Herne Bay just to see it.

Here is what he has to say:- “By Edwin F. Dangerfield, 1837. Portland stone tower of four stages, raised on seven steps. The inept design is instructive: the classical vocabulary thus debased was ripe for attack. Square round stage, with Greek Doric columns in threes at corners: then a stage with Corinthian columns in the same scale, which means that they look absurdly big. After that Mr Dangerfield hurriedly finished off with a pedimented cube and an octagonal domed top.”

One of the first and one of my favourite clock towers and worthy of Newman’s attentions, academic snobbery, intellectual tripe, classical absurdity of Porterhouse proportions, “beam me up Scottie”.  

Allthatsaid the pale stone against the pale sky makes it a beast to draw using only watercolour paint, it think this is my third attempt.


Watercolour sketch of Herne Bay Clock Tower from Wetherspoons, took about an hour and a half, Wetherspoons providing two cups of tea, an excellent salmon salad and chocolate fudge cake, extending the time to a very pleasant two hours.


Had I the time I would travel the county of Kent painting the charming buildings rubbished by our overly zealous and misguided leader of architects. But hey what a wonderful guide for Men of Kent, Kentish Men – Women of Kent, Kentish Women and even a DFL in 1965 like me it is. Isn't it?   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.