Saturday 10 September 2022

Ramsgate and Margate Harbours back in the day

 A few pictures of both harbours in the days of sail, which roughly speaking is before WW1

Having read most of the history books about Thanet in the days of sail, I think that Margate probably had a harbour well before Ramsgate. 
This is to do with the Wantsum Channel that separated the Isle of Thanet from mainland Kent up until about 1400 and the Port of Sandwich having some viability into the1600s
Here you see the harbour with two lock gates on the cross wall

During the 1700 and 1800s I think the main activities in both harbours would have been fishing boats and importing of coal the main source of energy back then. 

A question I get asked quite a bit is, Do you buy books? One answer to this is about 200 a day that said looking at the photos of the books we put out for sale every day we are open is a very good indicator of what we buy here is the link


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.