Friday 9 September 2022

Thrown by the loss of the Queen, some thoughts on Library/Bookshops in the context of Thanet local history.

If you go back to about 1850, about 100 years since the coronation and you wanted to buy a book about The Isle of Thanet, history or guidebook, the I expect Hunts Library, and believe it or not Bank, here in Ramsgate would have been a favourable destination. 


Similar for Bettison's in the centre of Margate

Books back then were expensive (a large proportion of a weekly wage) and with many they were rented out by these private libraries.

Here is Hunts Library on the 1849 Map of Ramsgate 
Like Hunts Library we sell the whole map on a sheet, unlike Hunts Library we have also put it on the internet here is the link

At the moment and from at least as early as 1896 it became entirely bank. I guess the writing is on the wall for banks as well as shops now. Back in the good old days a very big factor here was people working for less than a living wage.

Bit of a sad day I despite her great age, she has been queen all of my life and perhaps signifies an era, or even more than one era.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.