Friday 4 August 2023

Old Ramsgate and Margate photos, I visit Turner Contemporary in Margate and the rest of my day off.

 



Not sure of the dates for The Red Arrows over Margate
Not sure if the G stands for Galway and as you see a fairly large crew rowing out instead of a Ramsgate fishing smack which would have had a crew of 2 and been towed out by the tug.



I woke up yesterday thinking about art

did a very quick sketch in the style of Tiepolo

Eventually we headed off to Margate
Turner Contemporary, the cafe has changed hands since I last used it and is much more affordable



Salad, croissant, hot chocolate, coffee £14.70 very good quality and value with the croissant falling into the excellent bracket.

I liked the jolly colors on the window at turner contemporary



The main exhibition at the moment is much more rather jolly decoration or fabric craft then anything I would consider to be art.

Perhaps the problem is that I don't really understand this sort of art.







What the gallery lacks at the moment is any small exhibition of high quality conventional art. There is no small exhibition of Turner watercolours this time. No major sculpture. I'm not really sure that the council is getting good value for money for the amount they are subsidising the gallery


Children were very busy making stuff for Margate carnival




Turner Contemporary art gallery shop had some unexpected items

secondhand VHS tapes

secondhand vinyl

secondhand books behind glass. E.G. Turner Contemporary are selling Andy Warhol's Exposures for £80 here at Michael's in Ramsgate we have it on the shelf for £9.99 eBay have it for just over £13












We bought some books and went home.

This morning I woke up thinking about music

did a quick sketch of Jimmy Hendrix and now I am here at work in Michael's Bookshop in Ramsgate writing this blog post

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.