Friday 17 May 2024

Click to expand, Georgian Thanet

 

Ramsgate Sands around 1830

I recently bought this old print of Ramsgate, it should expand fairly well with a bit of clicking. To date it for you, after 1815 as it shows steam boats and before 1842 because it shows the lighthouse designed by Benjamin Wyatt that was replaced in 1842 by the one we have now designed by John Shaw. Coastguard station centre right.

Margate Pier and Droit House in 1823

I am wondering if the round structure half way up the pier is a camera obscura, I know there was one on Margate Jetty but that wasn't there as early as 1823.This one come from the Mick Twyman collection


 This is Broadstairs in 1841 lifted from the web here  OK just Victorian although I would guess the drawing for the print would have been just about done in Georgian times.

Here at Michael's Bookshop in Ramsgate we publish cheap reprints of the following Georgian books about Thanet, should you want to learn more about this period here.


There is a sense in which this could be called advertising although I don't think there is any profit made on these publications.  

This is the link to today's new book acquisitions here at Michael's Bookshop 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.