Wednesday 29 May 2024

Click to Expand, Old Thanet Postcards and a Ramble from Michael's Bookshop here in Ramsgate.

 Starting with Palm Bay in Cliftonville with its very distinctive pavilion.



Margate Sands

On to Ramsgate, although this first one is St Lawrence, but I suppose you know what I mean







This last one was the only one to say anything on the back so 1929 or before


On to the ramble and I find I don’t know what to say, minds gone blank. OK here we go.

 

Last Friday’s blog post about the origins of the name Thanet had a lot of interest, plenty of comment on the local Facebook groups I linked it to. No real conclusions on the origin of Thanet. I have been temporarily banned from posting on the “We Love Old Ramsgate” Facebook group, best not speculate why.

 

I think I will have a go at the origin of the word Ramsgate next. The earliest reference to the town is in the Kent Hundred Rolls of 1274-5, "Christina de Remmesgate have stopped a common road at Remisgate" before spelling was invented so Ramsgate is spelt differently in the same line.

 

I’m back at work in Michael’s Bookshop here in Ramsgate after having had three days off in succession due the bank holiday, business if fairly slow, I guess people spent out over the bank holiday. We have put out a fair amount books out today, here is the link.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.