Wednesday 15 May 2024

Ramsgate from St Lawrence C1845, Broadstairs about 1845, St John's Margate 1850

Many Thanks to David for sending me this photo of his lithograph of Ramsgate. It should expand with a bit of clicking. Various prints of roughly this view of Ramsgate have come up over the years and when they do I fiddle with Google maps and try to work out where the view is from. one option is that is before 1845/7 so Christ Church hasn't been built. Anyway I don't think from St Lawrence down the High Street to Ramsgate but perhaps more over towards Vale Square, what do you think?

Here is the link to the 1849 map of Ramsgate You can also buy this map as a rolled sheet at Michael's Bookshop in Ramsgate 

A couple of my tries with Google Maps, the white crosses on the red splodges are churches.



Onto Broadstairs 

Much easier to work out this one of Broadstairs, the tall building in the middle is Fort House which was built in the early 1800s and forms the core of what is now Bleak House extensively enlarged and refronted in 1901.

St John's Church Margate 1850 before it was restored in 1875, the roof in this one interests me and I think is probably boards and tarpaper.

Napoleon I just read this on Facebook  

Sorry I haven't posted for a while, the internet isn't what it was and I have been mostly avoiding the tec and reading the books here at Michael's Bookshop in Ramsgate. 

You can keep up to date with what we are up to by looking at the books we have just put out

Here at Michel's Bookshop in Ramsgate we have been fairly busy so far this year. I put this partly down to so many secondhand bookshops closing in East Kent. This means there is hardly anywhere else left for people to sell their books to, resulting in us buying a lot of good quality books.

If you have books that you want to sell to us please send us photos of just the spines, as they are on the shelf, like the photo below.

Either send us the photos by WhatsApp, mobile number 07742 258466 or email michaelsbookshop@aol.com then we will reply to you making an offer for the books we want to buy. 

The reduction of the number of Thanet shops that you can actually buy something in and with it the closure of all of the other independent secondhand bookshops is a bit of a double edged sword for us.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.