Friday, 24 July 2026

Pictures The Paragon Baths and its collapse in 1958

  The baths were built into the cliffs in 1862 and called the Royal Paragon Baths. It closed after World War One. They were partly demolished at some time after that, with the intention of re-building, but such plans never materialised. As you see from the photos the cliff behind them collapsed in 1958, finally demolishing what was left of them. Older (in their 80s and 90s) local history customers of mine here at Michael’s Bookshop in Ramsgate, tell me that when they were the youth of today, it was a good place to hang out. So a thank you to them as they provided the pictures, by bringing them into the bookshop and letting me copy them. If there is a moral here it maybe. If you are going to build something under the cliff, make sure it is strong enough to withstand a cliff collapse. The picture with the glass in the windows is about 1900, the one without the glass is after WW1








No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.