Monday, 21 September 2026

A few pictures of Ramsgate pubs.

So starting with the General Joffre, named after a French general in world war 1 who was commanding chief of the French forces on the Western front. This pub had previously been named The Prince Coburg but when world war 1 came along it was decided the name was too German so the photo has to be  later. This building later became Michael's Bookshop which is where I am sitting at the moment writing this post. The next photo is the Honeysuckle Inn and just going on what people are wearing I would guess it's probably around 1920. The next one is the Red Lion going by the clothing I am guessing around 1900. Finally The Foresters and guessing mainly by the solid tyre on the back of the charabanc  I am guessing around 1920. I think by 1930 they pretty much all had inflatable tyres. Sorry some of the photos have been through the mill a bit if you feel so inclined you can always get AI to remove the blemishes.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.