The first picture shows the old Ramsgate town hall, I think it is decked out for Queen Victoria's jubilee, this is the town hall that appears the most often in old Ramsgate photos. This was built in 1839 and was situated in the middle of Ramsgate where the Halifax bank or building society is now. The second picture shows the previous town hall before 1839. This was on the same site. Before we had a town hall local decisions were made in the Red Lion. The third picture shows the 1839 town hall in 1846 with Queen Street on the right. The fourth picture is probably fairly near the end of its life; you can see the supports on either side where the building had developed structural problems. It was demolished in 1955. Talking to people who were adults in the 1950s for some reason that wasn't really expressed at the time it appeared that the locals didn't like the town hall building. The fifth picture is of the inside of the town hall. The sixth picture is a detail from the 1822 map of Ramsgate that we sell here at Michael's Bookshop in Ramsgate. This is what I used to confirm the position of the pre 1839 town hall.





No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.