Wednesday, 30 September 2026

Thanet pictures

 The first picture is The Sun Cafe on the end of Ramsgate harbours East pier. This must be a very early picture of it so about 1939 which is when it first opened. It soon became The Eagle Cafe and is now The Brasserie. 


Next picture Ramsgate carnival I think probably late 1950s all 1960s this date is only based on the fact that some of the people are not wearing hats.


Next one is a tug moving a sailing ship in Ramsgate Harbor, not sure of the date. 


Next one an aerial view of Ramsgate probably 1930s. 


Next one Garlinge crossing from the clothing I'm guessing around 1930. 


Next one the royal hotel Cecil Square Margate, not sure of the date.


The next one says it is Margate. It looks as though there has been some sort of major explosion so it could be a wartime one. The clothing looks 1940s. I'm sure someone will be able to identify it. 


The last one is the launching of Margate lifeboat. 


As usual I'm writing the post between serving customers here at Michael's Bookshop in Ramsgate so apologies for anything error wise that comes up due to speech to text recognition and only having half my mind on the job. 


Anyway at least you know who I am and that none of this is AI generated slop.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.