Thursday 15 July 2010

Coffins in St Georges Crypt

My children have been complaining that both my blog posts and pictures have been a bit boring recently, so this is one for them.

The church I don’t attend is St Georges in Ramsgate, I certainly wouldn’t not go to any other church, it is a gem of a Regency church pretty much completely in tact.

One unusual feature is that it still has coffins in the vaults in the crypt, so here are the pictures.

I will enhance and publish some more pictures later, as you can imagine the light wasn’t ideal for photography.

Due to modern health and safety regulations, mostly relating to the asbestos used on the old central heating system, children are now not allowed in the crypt.

At one time this was their favourite part of the church, most especially the small coffins containing the bodies of dead children.

Click on the link for the pictures http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/laptop710/id4.htm


By way of explanation here to any adults who my stumble upon this post by mistake and not understand it, this is very much about children being very much aware that they are mortal and can die like the rest of us, but there is very little about to show them that they will get the same treatment as adults if they do. Proper coffin, buried with their relations and so on.


Here are the rest of the pictures as promised http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/laptop710/id5.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.