Thursday 3 September 2015

Watercolour painting of The Great Tower at Dover Castle and minor ramble.

Not perhaps the best painting of Dover Castle, done today between rain showers from pretty much the only seat facing The Great Tower from within the walled bailey. The tower which forms the castles keep was built in the 1100s and painting it I was reminded of the medieval monarchs letters to the lords warden of the Cinque Ports telling them to get the constable to make the population of Thanet repair to Dover Castle for their protection.

The last day of the school holidays for us today, a busy time both in my bookshop and with my family, so apologies for the lack of blog posts recently, if the weather had been better there would have been more paintings from the early mornings.

On the local political front our UKIP TDC council seems to have become something of a secretive dictatorship and for the time being I have rather given up on them. I think that very little seems to be happening at TDC in terms of political change due to UKIP.

Of course any councillors reading this blog who are instigating any sort of change or improvement can always comment saying what it is they are doing, they certainly don’t seem to engaging in social media elsewhere and I think it will some time before we see a blogging TDC cabinet member again.

The Manston issue seems to be still grinding on, with it becoming progressively clear that political promises to create an airfreight hub on the site of Manston Airport are not going to happen because it is far beyond anything a district council could achieve.

There are rumours of something of a rebellion against the current leader and cabinet, but as both the rebels and the leaders seem to have only the same two items on their agenda, building and airfreight hub and leaving the EU I doubt it will come to much.


On the bookshop front we are getting better at putting the books going on to the shelves in the bookshop on to the bookshop blog http://michaelsbookshop.blogspot.co.uk/ and I am now getting customers come in into the shop to buy books that have come in recently.     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.