Friday 14 October 2022

Old books about the history of The Isle of Thanet

 As I guess most readers here will know we publish over 200 books and Maps about Thanet. here is the link to pictures of them this post is about the Thanet books we don't publish but do sell, mostly these are out of print.

So starting with The Ramsgate Millennium Book. This book was published in a limited edition of 1500 copies and sold to subscribers only, that is you couldn't buy it in a shop but could only get it by subscribing (I think paying in advance before it was published) to The Ramsgate Society. If I remember right the price was £10, the publication being heavily subsidised, I would guess if had been published without a subsidy back in 2000 it would have been about £35.

Over the last 22 years the price of a secondhand copy has fluctuated between about £60 and about £300 depending on supply and demand, we are selling copies in very good condition for about £80, one where the sun has faded the spine would be about £60. We have several different copies in stock.

This next one is an out of print Broadstairs book, you can buy it on Amazon for about £35 including postage. On eBay for £23 including postage. On abe books also about £23 and of course if you come here to Michael's Bookshop in Ramsgate we will look it up and make sure you are paying a competitive price.


Next this Margate book on Amazon at £62.28 plus another 3.50 delivery or on abe books for about £12. This listing is for a book in good condition which in the language of the professional bookseller means not very good. It is a case of buyer beware. Once again we have various copies in stock in different conditions at different prices.


Next this Westgate book about £28 on Amazon what's the cheapest I could find


Underground Thanet came out not long ago in 2012 at £9.99 you might have some difficulty buying it online, we're selling it for £25 at the moment. Of course if they do a reprint then the price will go back down to £9.99 and less for second-hand copy.


Thanet at war has gone up and down in price over the years, at the moment it seems to be about £15 for a paperback and about 35 for a hardback first edition.

Of course we have always got a large range of much cheaper books about Thanet. And I always recommend that people start off with the cheaper ones and leave the very expensive ones that tend to fluctuate in price price quite a bit, until they have built up their collection of cheaper Thanet books.


If you have an interest in Thanet's local history it is important to understand that out local history books tend to go up in value after they have gone out of print. obviously if you go to a new bookshop and buy a cookery book or a fiction paperback it will very soon only have a nominal value so you would be happy to lend it to someone, the situation my be different with a local history book, particularly if the value has risen, or it just can't be replaced.

O.K. next some old local pictures
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.