Monday 24 October 2022

Thanet History JWM Turner and Turner Contemporary art theft.

 
This is JWM Turner's famous watercolour of the entrance to Ramsgate Harbour painted in 1824 and it tells us that Ramsgate had a different lighthouse in 1824, so up to a point history can steal something from art.


Here is a page from one of Turner's many sketchbooks and if you look carefully you can see it shows Pier Castle in Harbour parade in Ramsgate and leaves the historian with plenty to fathom out from the days before photography.
This is a late Turner watercolour painting of Margate by this time Turner was a well established member of the romantic movement in art, so things are a bit fuzzy for the historian.


The next little group of turners are from approximately 1784 and and are said to have been painted while turner was at school in Margate. The one above is a view of Minster in Thanet

This one is of St John's Church in Margate
This one is of Minster Church

This one looking down on Margate seafront of a tin works

This later and more accomplished watercolour is of East cliff lodge during the time when Montefiore was there, a very useful picture for the historian.

Another very early one of Margate High Street.

Yesterday we visited turner contemporary art gallery, Anthony giles' art gallery both Margate book shops and had a bit of a wander around Margate old town.  I am still getting used to my new phone and slowly mastering the camera sorry about the odd thumb in the picture. Anyway I took some photos with it made some gifts with it it and below are the results.

Starting with some gifs of the moving parts of the main exhibition at turner contemporary which is called Cold Light and is by Lindsey Sears and Keith Sargent.







Going onto the photos which seem to have gone up on the blog in reverse order. All of them will expand with a bit of clicking on them.
I eventually returned home
A bit of building work on the way
The next group of pictures are of part of Margate old town which looks better every time I visit it it. For an October day with a not very good weather forecast it was very busy




















This next group old photos are of Anthony Giles Gallery well worth a visit if you're in the old town and you like art











































We bought some books in the hospice book shop

We bough some books from Margate Bookshop







This is Turner Contemporary Café we had already had lunch so didn't really consider it


Next turner contemporary shop


Next the Sunley Gallery with an exhibition called sirens by Sophie Von Hellman and Anne Ryan





On upstairs 

















So this is the main exhibition by Lindsay Sears and Keith Sargant called Cold Light.

Here are steals from science fiction and from physics also to a degree from philosophy.

We enjoyed this exhibition and we'll go back for a further viewing hopefully when the gallery is quieter. and all the exhibits are working properly.















This exhibition is called Fantastical Worlds by a year 8 students from The Royal Harbour academy and Project Motorhouse. We enjoyed this one too. This part of turner contemporary is mainly intended for children and they have greatly improved it with some smaller chairs and lower tables it's got a much better atmosphere and much more child friendly






















Outside the gallery




There was a square rigged ship with people on the the yard arms and I tried difftent settings on the camera on my phone try to to show this

And with the images in reverse order then we drove to Margate




I have already been asked by several people weather I like the exhibition and if I recommend that they go to it.

This is difficult to answer with contemporary art some people will like it and some people won't. We both enjoyed it and will definitely go back I think a lot of people will be critical and probably not enjoy it.

Working in the arts as I do by selling literature I would think it's a very small proportion of the population who enjoy the arts and literature, if you're going to expense an effort to visit the expression then this is something to consider.

Hard at work here at Michael's Bookshop in Ramsgate 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.