Wednesday 12 June 2024

Click to enlarge, Thanet and the big changes from 1815

 Two major things happened for Thanet in 1815, one was the Napoleonic wars ended and the other was the first paddle steamers started a regular service from London to Margate.

Ramsgate

Ramsgate in 1817 by Henry Moses

Apart from the two Henry Moses pictures that I have labelled all the rest and the pages of text come from the book  Delineations Historical and Topographical of the Isle of Thanet 1817 by Edward Brayley and were drawn by William Deeble.

So here is what this book has to say about paddle steamers 








Ramsgate in 1817 by Henry Moses
The picture above is a composite made of two of Moses's engravings and joined together by me so they show what is now Harbour Parade. 

Margate



Broadstairs

As far as I can tell the paddle steamers didn't brave going around North Foreland to Ramsgate until a few years later, I imagine there would have been too many cancelations due to rough weather.

These early paddle steamers where to some extent experimental vessels with passengers taking something of a risk.

Out of this developed a relable four hour paddle steamer service making Thanet much easier to get to than Brighton and the other south coast towns, until the coming of the railways.

Here at Michaels Bookshop in Ramsgate we are starting to see summer local history customers who come from other parts of the world, but have Thanet connection. We have bought a new and better definition printer which has improved the image quality in the local books. 

On the rest of the books, mostly secondhand and cheaper than you can buy a similar copy online  here is the link the latest books we have had come in 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.