Monday 17 June 2024

Ramsgate Tunnels Underground Electricity Control Room, Clifton Baths in Cliftonville Margate and a Paddle steamer in Broadstairs in 1836

 

Ramsgate Tunnels Underground Electricity Control Room
This would have been a very important part of the Ramsgate air raid tunnel shelter system. What can you see in the picture? I will tell you what the equipment looks like to me and of course anyone with better knowledge of wartime electrical installations please comment and correct any errors. 

Top left power distribution board. Bottom centre petrol generator. Right batteries. I am assuming that most of the time the tunnel lighting ran on mains power, from the look of it I would think 110 volt DC system with the mains charging the batteries. This would mean that when a bombing raid stopped Ramsgate town electricity supply, the lights in the tunnels would have stayed on. The generator would have been to keep the batteries charged during a prolonged power cut.

I think this control room would have been near to the Ramsgate Hospital tunnel entrance in Westcliff Road (up past Waitrose) The following photos are of what this part of the tunnel system looks like now.




Clifton Baths, these later (1930s) became The Lido Cliftonville Margate. 









Clifton Baths
This advert is from the book we publish Margate and Westgate With Birchington 1903-04 I recommend coming here to Michaels Bookshop in Ramsgate and having a browse of it but here is the link to buy it online if you can't

To see what it looks like now here is a link to an Ilse of Thanet News article about it


This is part of my ongoing research into the early days of holidaying in Thanet, the picture is of a KCC postcard which they have dated 1836 and shows a paddle steamer at Broadstairs.

Here at Michaels Bookshop in Ramsgate a fairly quiet Monday morning after what was a very busy Saturday, so no blog post then and a fairly detailed history post today. Here is a link link the latest books we have had come in

Flowers outside Michael's Bookshop Ramsgate
Don't miss the display of flowers on Plains or Waterloo if you come to the bookshop.


Yesterday we went to Turner Contemporary and the Hospice Bookshop in Margate



 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.