Wednesday 19 June 2024

2 Thanet and Ramsgate Maps and the bookshop in Ramsgate's Harbour Street closing down

Starting with this Isle of Thanet Map circa 1910 I have just tested it and with 2 clicks it expands to big enough to read the writing.


  • I'm adding this paragraph because of a lot of comment on the Facebook groups this post is linked to. If you want to understand the position with individual houses around 1910 then you would need to come here to Michaels Bookshop in Ramsgate and look in the various Street directories  that we sell. Bearing in mind that some streets have changed either their name or their numbering since 1910. With these directories it is possible to tell who was living in an individual house around 1910.

  • Next the bad news, the only source of new books in Ramsgate, since WH Smith closed in The High Street, Book Bodega, is closing at the end of July. Below a screenshot from their Instagram account.

Here at Michaels Bookshop in Ramsgate I very much doubt we will ever stock new books apart from Thanet local history. I also doubt that another independent bookshop selling them will open in Ramsgate, I think they are just too expensive.

This makes it more difficult for me as there will be fewer secondhand books for me to buy for Michaels Bookshop. 

Next, and by way of compensation here is a digital copy of the 1939 OS map with the tunnels overlaid on it. We sell this one at Michaels Bookshop in Ramsgate as a printed sheet  map. Once again 2 clicks should get you to one big enough to read the street names.



Next some sort of ramble. I am still playing about with drawing Penrose or impossible triangles and I made a rotating gif of the one I sketched yesterday.

Multiple Penrose triangles rotating 

I have to confess that this picture was so complicated that I had to draw it in pencil and then go over it with a fine liner and rub the pencil out before I could colour it in with watercolour.

I don't have complete confidence that images will stay the same size as they are when I first put them on Blogger, there is the approach I used for the 1849 Map of Ramsgate but that is very time consuming and obviously just putting the Image on Facebook doesn't work at all.as will be very clear to you if you came to this blog from a Facebook group.
 
here is the link to the books that are new arrivals here by the way we don't sell a paper copy of the circa 1910 map yet.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.