Saturday 29 June 2024

Click to expand, 150 Pictures of Paddle Steamers that visited Ramsgate and Margate

I have been having a lot of difficulty posting links to Facebook groups recently, I tried to link this lot the other day and it failed.


So here we go again. The first paddle steamer got from London to Margate either in 1815 or 1816, depending on which local history books you read.

During Victorian times it was usual for reasonably wealthy families to rent a house by the seaside for the whole of the summer season, moving ones servants, horses, carriage etc too. The man of the family would take the "Husband Boat" to London every week to continue earning the money, service his mistress and stay at his club.


The best personal account of the early steamboats is in the book "Fragments of History - Ramsgate" by CT Richardson. We publish a cheap reprint of this book here is the link we also often have original copies in stock for about £100 if it is in nice condition and has its scarce frontispiece. I would recommend coming here to Michaels Bookshop in Ramsgate and giving it a thorough browse,  


Here is what CT Richardson writing in 1885 has to say.







Next follows some pictures, from the Mick Twyman collection and my collection, of  steamers that visited Thanet 

London Boat at Ramsgate



























































































































































Ramble

A beautiful summers day here in Ramsgate, I am at work a Michaels Bookshop which is busy, mostly summer reading and local history. Quite a lot of people using the local history section to work out who lived in their house when.  

This time the links to this blog post from the Facebook groups has worked, I think that Facebook has some sort of system in place to stop links that take people somewhere bad and somehow I got caught up in that.

Next some pictures of today's Ghostbusters event in the old fire station here in Ramsgate. Click to expand.



















































  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.