Friday 9 August 2024

Click to enlarge Northdown Road special and archive Thanet photos.

 I assume these are colliers at Margate harbour





Broadstairs 

fishing smacks

Fishing smacks Ramsgate harbour

This is a Ramsgate Steam trawler 

There have been three Ramsgate tugs called Aid, This is Ramsgate tug Aid 1 1865-1891










































































I periodically go to Northdown Road and take some pictures as it gives a fair indicator of how the small independent shop world is changing. 

Here are the links to pictures I took in 2009

http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/northdownroad

http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/northdownroad/id3.htm

http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/northdownroad/id4.htm

http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/northdownroad/id5.htm

I think the main reason that most small shops selling new non food goods have closed is due to expenses with wages topping the bill. 

Nowadays our main reason for visiting Northdown Road is the secondhand book and record shop Ghost Papa. And of course the interesting purpose built shop architecture most of it dating from around 1900 to 1920 I think. 

Shops and the way they impact on our communities fascinates me and I have been actively involved with bookshops since the 1960s. Just what impact the decline of the shop has on our society is now becoming evident. 

That said here at Michaels Bookshop where I work in Ramsgate, there hasn't really been been a significant change in sales since I opened here in 1987. In an overall sense secondhand book prices haven't changed much in that time. On the whole non fiction has got a bit cheaper and paperback fiction a bit dearer, but there is very little in it. I would say the main reason that Thanet has lost its other secondhand bookshops is that expenses have risen.

Bookshops selling new books is another matter and since 1987 I think the amount of bookshop space in Thanet stayed stable, with Waterstones replacing Albion Bookshops, recently however the closure of the WH Smiths in Ramsgate and Margate has had a considerable impact. 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.