First picture Ramsgate sands looks to be about 1910. Note at this time when the tide came in there was no sand at all. I think those strange groynes and antiquated sea defences are still underneath the sand now.
Next picture is Neptune Square in Margate.
Next picture is the back of the Clock House in Ramsgate, the buildings on the back had various uses at one time I believe they were tea rooms and at other times used for maritime things to do with the Harbour.
The next one is Margate lifeboat.
The next one is the Ramsgate tidal ball when it had the structure at the bottom.
The next one has the explanation on the picture.
The next one showing the sailing ship on Morton's patent slipway as the face of the clock on the clockhouse is black this dates a picture to between 1842 and 1881.
The last one the launching of Margate lifeboat.
For further information I recommend coming here to Michael's Bookshop in Ramsgate and browsing our local history section which is fairly comprehensive.




No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.