Monday 1 September 2008

A pinch and a punch for the first day of the month

It’s effectively the end of the summer season such as it was this year, one struggle I had with the council that failed, was to try and get some temporary use for the Pleasurama site this year.

Despite the efforts of myself and various councillors including Sandy Ezekiel nothing happened, we were assured that the work on the site would make it too dangerous for people to be allowed to use it. In fact no work was carried out on the site during the summer months and once again Ramsgate lost out.

Last I heard the work on the design for anchoring the cliff façade to the cliff (the unpainted bit with the big cracks in it) was nearing completion and the architects had submitted various plans to the planning department, in an attempt to resolve the issues raised by the environment agency, however none of these plans has been acceptable.

Now it appears that there is some doubt about whether the bond that the developer SFP, or their bankers, or any other associate company was supposed to give Thanet District Council before final permission to advance the development was given, has in fact been received.

1 comment:

  1. Obviously there have been and must still be councillors who aim for improvement in TDC.

    Is the history of cock up and vulnerability to exploitation so institutionalized now that nothing can be done ? Other than wait a century and hope.

    There was, years ago, A Councillor Doctor McAvoy who warned against overburdening Thanet with care homes.

    But the momentum was too great. And some of the knock on effects (diminution of care for the working age and school age population) may still not be appreciated.

    For example Doctor Sayer of the Cornwal gardens practice in Cliftonville. A case emerged about a man who stole prescription pads. They were blank apart from the doctor's signature. Pre signed blank prescriptions. So isn't it reasonable to infer that his repeat prescribing regime was handled by receptionists ? Year in year out as the doctor was too burdened to cope with his full range of duties ?

    I was impressed with Cllr Pat Sebastian. But I think he only stood one term. Is the task beyond even the ability of a merchant banking professional to address ?

    Power to you Michael.

    In 1984 I went to a trade show at Ashford. And Ashford councillors topld us that they were modelling their small industrial unit development on the Thanet idea.

    "Am I to understand," asked my colleague "That Thanet Council is doing something right ?"

    Apparently they can but no one gets told .....

    Best of luck

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.