Tuesday 9 September 2008

Will Transcribed

Gerald has done a superb job on the will I posted the other day click here to read it

Michael,

Copy of will transcription attached, as promised.

There were one or two places that were hard to follow and I've highlighted these in italic to show that this is my best effort at reading the text.

Interestingly, I notice (in the will) that William Spencer left a house to Elizabeth Tomson that was on the corner of Brick Street and the South End - this looks like it was either next to or almost opposite the Rising Sun.

cheers,
Gerald.

3 comments:

  1. Impressive Gerald. In modern day parlance "Respect"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good painstaking work, well done. I've got quite a few old wills along with a number of Indentures and also Title Deeds, they're of no use - just interesting! In the transcription should the word 'devise' be 'demise'?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Rick. I'm also working on transcribing the deed for the rising sun - but I think this might take rather more time !

    Thanks anonymous. I would have expected (in a will) for this to have said 'devise' - as this is usually used to indicate a bequest of real estate in a will - 'demise' does sometimes get used to mean this, but usually means the grant of a leasehold interest out of a larger interest such as the freehold.

    I'll go back and check the original image to make sure that I've got it right.

    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.