Tuesday 30 September 2008

1928 Ramsgate Holiday

I have just bought a small holiday album it says on the front SNAPS: E. HODGKINS 1928 1929 the first section is Ramsgate 1928.

The pictures are Box Brownie contact prints, by this I mean that no photographic enlarger was used, once the roll of film was developed, it was chopped up put directly on top of the photographic paper, light was allowed to pass through the film on to the paper for a given period of time which was then developed, looking at them I would say this was done at home, probably in a blacked out kitchen or bathroom.

A few things of note the solid tyred charabanc had a top speed of 12 mph with friction shock absorbers it must have been an interesting ride.

The two pictures of the person in a deckchair show the eastern undercliff bathing station, later the marina swimming pool was built there, now a car park.

Please post any thoughts on the other locations as comments.


3 comments:

  1. Maybe they had a day trip to Canterbury as well. A couple of the photos looked like the main door into the cathedral & the chain link fence along side the grass outside.

    Could the photos showing the tall thin chimney have been taken from the Tot Hill Street/Mount Pleasant area of Minster ? The chimney MAY have been that of Hill House Hospital (Minster Union Workhouse.) The churchyard is right opposite where the hospital was, but the photo could have been taken a bit further down the hill where there are houses.

    I don't know for definite, it's just a guess, really :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. pjk I have just woken up to the fact that the pub with the motorbike outside is the Red Lion ant Wingham, I may have had a spot of over compute today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So it is. It hasn't changed that much, either.

    A couple of the other photos are of Ramsgate waterfall & at Broadstairs, looking over the harbour towards Bleak House.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.