Thursday 16 January 2014

Watercolour sketch of St Peters Church in the town of Sandwich in Kent from The No Name Bistro, a day off ramble.

This painting of St Peters Church Sandwich from The No Name Bistro started out as a pencil sketch as watercolours often do, I don’t like sketching from photos if I can avoid it for a number of reasons. So this time of year I wander around places looking for a cup of tea or coffee with a view that I think I can sketch. One aspect of this is making sure that the view won’t suddenly be obscured, double yellow lines are an important factor here.


This is far as I got



Before this happened

Anyway the key part, the sketching had been done so I took this photo and used it colour it in,
this colouring in process doesn't take very long with watercolour 
For a dullish day like today I cover the sky with a wash of white paint and put a few dabs of blue and grey on it while it is still wet, then put washes of background colour on the walls and roofs.
Bricks and tiles go on with some fast spodging 

On to some of the photos of Sandwich today


















  
I seem to have got a bit obsessed with the reflections
  if you open them in photo editor invert and flip them you get some strange affects.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.