Tuesday 23 February 2010

Ramsgate Royal Sands Development safety update

I managed to get out for a walk this morning and thought I would go and visit the Pleasurama site and see what the condition of the cliff façade was like.

My main concern here is that the work to the cliff façade that Thanet District Council have already spent over a million pounds of our money on isn’t satifactory.

The picture above is the design drawing for the pillars of arched part of the façade, the top part is on the left and the bottom part is on the right.

As you can see looking at the bottom, of the bottom there should be a large bit of concrete buttress there.
If you look at the picture above, taken earlier today, you can see that the ground at the bottom of the pillar has been dug out recently and there isn’t any concrete buttress there.

If you look at the next picture which is a close-up of the bottom of the pillar you can see that what is there instead looks like chalk instead.

Click on the link for the rest of the pictures http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/Blogpicts1210/id15.htm
It is interesting to consider that we have recently spent over £1,000,000 on repairs to this structure and that the council seem quite happy with the quality of those repairs.
This link takes you to more of the design plans for the façade and an enlargement of the plan above http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/Blogpicts1210/id6.htm it would appear that the façade is literally hanging on the chalk cliff.
Oh and this link to the other pictures I took on my walk http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/Blogpicts1210/id16.htm sorry there arent that many I was in a somewhat thoughtful frame of mind on the way back home and forgot to take any.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.