Wednesday 24 June 2015

The Ramsgate Society is tinned and other thoughts

I guess most people will remember last year when we has the Ramsgate Society shop with the stained glass Edwardian shop front in Harbour Street, now of course all ripped out and I am sure in the fullness of time we will get a nice new plastic one.


Anyway you may be wondering what's happened to The Ramsgate Society, well the answer is they have been tinned.


Take a town like Ramsgate, find a position with one of the finest views in the world - overlooking The Royal Harbour - find a shipping container and in no time at all you have a room without a view.


My take is that the town council, tourist information office, the TDC office in Ramsgate and The Ramsgate Society should club together and buy one largish shop in the town that they can all operate from. 


Anyway if you want to visit The Ramsgate Society it's in the container by the Maritime Museum or Clock House at the harbour.  

Historically in Ramsgate the locals have been tinned or boxed and then left well alone, see http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/laptop710/id5.htm some years ago a couple of these were robbed an once the lead lining had been broken the bodies inside started to go off and had to be removed because of the smell.

I can only assume that initially something like the canning process for food was used, the contents being heated and then sealed, anyone have any ideas they would like to share on this one.            

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.