Saturday 31 December 2016

Some old Ramsgate and Margate views and paining from Turner Contemporary café

First the views

I have grouped this card in a way which I hope makes it easier to read, although the past in this instance seem more of foreign country than in most cases.



 1907 view of Margate the church is Holy Trinity consecrated in 1829 after a 5 year build, badly damaged by a bomb in 1943 demolished in 1958





 I had two watercolour sketches on the go from Turner Contemporary Cafe today

 a couple of reference photos here for any aspiring art critics

The main reason I went to Turner Contemporary was to get a final look at the exhibition – JWM Turner Adventures in Colour. This runs for another week the final day being Sunday 8th January, but I seem to have other commitments during the rest of the time it’s on for.

If you haven’t seen it yet I strongly recommend making the effort during the next week as it’s a very good one.

The next Turner exhibition there is called Liber Studorium on the gallery’s website, vide https://www.turnercontemporary.org/exhibitions/liber-studorium and starts on the 28th January, this translates from the latin as – the stud book with the edge.

To begin with I thought this would be an exhibition of Turner’s erotica, see http://thanetonline.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/erotic-art-exhibition-at-turner.html I had hoped that some of the Turners Ruskin allegedly burnt had appeared and there would be a first and possibly only showing in Margate.

However it seems this is to be an exhibition of prints of his work, and as his erotica – bonfire or no bonfire, never made it into being engravings, I am beginning to wonder if the gallery really meant to write Liber Studiorum which translates as – studies book.

Anyway it’s either a book of sharp studs or a book of studies and as I am in the book business I will have to look into this one.

As you can see we are running wild in the bookshop http://michaelsbookshop.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/running-wild-in-bookshop.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.