Friday 5 December 2008

Housing plans go for further scrutiny

Thanet district Council Press Release

Plans to establish a shared service organisation to manage all council housing in East Kent are set for closer scrutiny.

The proposals, which would see the establishment of a management company, jointly owned by Canterbury City, Ashford Borough and Thanet, Dover and Shepway District Councils to manage the 21,000 homes owned by the five councils, have been detailed to the council’s Overview and Scrutiny Panel.

A Working Party has now been set up to look at the issue in more detail, which will report back to the Panel’s next meeting on Tuesday 27 January.

It’s hoped that the new way of working would lead to improvements in service, cost reductions and efficiencies. Under the plans, the 300 staff who currently deliver the housing service at each council would transfer over to the new organisation, which would be accountable to its board.

Chairman of the Overview and Scrutiny Panel, Cllr. Bob Bayford, said: “This is an incredibly important issue, which is set to affect thousands of tenants and leaseholders and a number of this council’s staff. The panel felt that it was important to give this issue the right amount of time and that’s why we’re bringing it back to our next meeting to look at it in more detail.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.