Monday 15 December 2008

Success for Street Hoops

Thanet district Council press release
More than 30 young people have taken part in the second Street Hoops event, organised by the Sport Matters team.

The monthly freestyle basketball event has been running since October at Ramsgate Sports Centre, with tournaments for three age groups, 11 – 13 years old, 14 – 17 years old and 18 plus.

Music was supplied by Pie Factory Music, with a dance freestyler also showing off some of his skills and the award winning Trinity cheerleading group attending to support all those who took part.

Sports Development Officer, Martyn Cassell, said: “Once again, Street Hoops was a great success and the event showed off some fantastic skills and talent. In particular, in the 11 to 13 year old category, our overall winners were called, suitably enough, the Champions and they turned up in their own kit that they’d purchased themselves. That’s what you call dedication! However, Street Hoops is very much about taking part and having fun, rather than competing. We look forward to seeing all ages coming along to our next event in January.”

The next Street Hoops event is due to take place at Ramsgate Sports Centre on Sunday 25 January between 5pm and 7pm. Entry is £1.50 and people can turn up on the night, either as an individual player or a team, without having to pre-register.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.