Thursday 18 December 2008

More fines for littering and dog fouling

Thanet district Council press release

Four people have received hefty fines for littering and allowing their dogs to foul in Thanet, as part of the council’s “Drop It and Cop It” campaign.

Sophie Page, from Northdown Road, Cliftonville, was fined £165 for dropping litter in Northdown Road, while Mr. Watson from Godwin Road, Cliftonville was fined the same amount for allowing his dog to foul in Trinity Square, Margate.

Dropping a cigarette butt in Margate High Street left Jonathan Cottrill of Royal Crescent, Margate with a £165 fine, while Terry Chittenden from Godwin Road, Cliftonville received a £140 fine for dropping a cigarette butt in Margate High Street.

The fines are the latest results from the council’s zero tolerance campaign on litter, “Drop It and Cop It”, which warns people they will face fines if they are caught littering or allowing their dogs to foul.

Cllr. Shirley Tomlinson, Cabinet Member for Commercial and Environmental Services, said: “Local people wanted zero tolerance on littering, including cigarette butts, and dog fouling and we’re doing exactly what residents asked for. We know it’s a popular campaign, with the majority of our residents’ panel telling us that Drop It and Cop It is important for Thanet. We are determined to do what we can to stamp out litter and sadly, the only way of getting the message across to some people, is by taking action and issuing fines. As these cases show, if people fail to pay up, then they could land up in court with much higher fines.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.