Thursday, 23 February 2017

Entangled – Threads in the Making at Turner Contemporary Margate another review attempt and some old Thanet Pictures

Another go at this exhibition and while I find some of the individual exhibits interesting, for me it still doesn’t seem to work as a cohesive whole exhibition.


I did what I usually do, which is to have a quick wander around the exhibition then go into the gallery café, have a cuppa and a bite to eat while sketching the view out of the window, then go round the exhibition again trying to produce some reasonable pictures of the exhibition and think about what I am going to say about the exhibition. Here are the pictures which should expand if you click on them.


















I think perhaps the biggest problem for me is so many different artists which left me confused.

A big plus with this exhibition is that now photography is allowed throughout the whole gallery. With a lot of this type of art the explanation – which in practice is mostly given by the gallery attendants – is fairly involved, so whereas when the exhibition first opened with photography, most of the attendant’s time was spent asking people to stop taking photos, now it is mostly spent talking to the visitors.   

Anyway I finished off my painting in the cafe 
I had a notion that I could perhaps develop a sort of inside and outside view, to try and express how I felt. 

I guess an issue with verbal or written explanations for visual art is that one decoding becomes another encoding and I honestly felt that an explanation of how over fifty artists had produced all of the exhibits would only leave me confused at a higher level. 


On to the old local pictures










No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note comments that may be libellous, comments that may be construed as offensive, anonymous derogatory comments about real people, comments baiting internet trolls, comments saying that an anonymous comment was made by a named real person, boring comments and spam comments, comments in CAPs will be deleted. Playground stuff like calling real people by their time stamp or surname alone, referring to groups as gangs, old duffers and so on will result in deletion. Comment that may be construed as offensive to minority groups is not allowed here either, so think before you write it, remember that the internet is a public place, that it is very difficult to be truly anonymous and that everyone who uses it leaves a trail of some sort. Also note the facility to leave anonymous comment will be turned of during periods when I am unable to monitor comment, this will not affect people commenting who are signed on to their blogger accounts. When things are particularly difficult on the commercial spam front I may turn comment moderation on for periods.

If you feel that someone has left a comment that is offensive and directed at you personally please email me (link on the sidebar) asking to have it removed, you will need to tell which post and the date and timestamp of the offending comment. Please do not reply to the offending comment as I will assume you continuing the dialogue as meaning that you want the comments left there.