Sunday 11 May 2014

Sunday Ramble a few sketches type of thing

The idea was to do some sketching and possibly some painting today, it really was to windy to sit outside.


I started with this sketch from Gerry’s Coffee Shop in Albert Square Ramsgate, very good coffee at Gerry’s.

I went on to Margate for a last viewing of “Making Painting: Helen Frankenthaler and JMW Turner” which finishes today. Helen Frankenthaler didn’t really do it at all for me until today when I got a slight hint of the energy of producing some of he paintings. Frankly not really enough.


Lunch at Café G and another sketch.

Back to Turner Contemporary where Manuel was occurring.


A few more sketches during that. 

“Manual demonstrates how we are experts in the movements which make up our daily lives. Dance artist Helka Kaski invites visitors of the current exhibitions of Edmund de Waal and Helen Frankenthaler to help her carry out a familiar action by giving her a series of verbal instructions, for example standing up from a lying-down position. As they work together to complete the task, it becomes clear that what at first may appear easy, is actually complex and extraordinary, often causing amusement and bemusement. Manual poignantly draws attention to simple movements, meticulously dismantling their timing and order.”

And the inevitable photos





I did go shopping in another local bookshop, which seemed to me a bit of a David Lynch experience, anyone here remember Twin Peaks?


Sorry I really don’t think I have mastered the moving image.

I will be posting some stuff about the council proposals http://thanetlab.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/leaders-report-to-council.html I have to say I am not so keen on turning the Pavillion into the biggest pub in Europe and I do have some positives and negatives about moving Ramsgate Market.

One issue here is that retail has to be related to any town’s car parks and in some instances multi-storey car parks are excluded because they are dirty and don’t feel safe enough for everyone to use.

I can of course see how Ramsgate Town Council would influence Thanet District Council to try and centralise commercial activity in the part of Ramsgate where the town council are.

The big problem here is the coloured concrete promenade that removed most of the parking from this part of Ramsgate, apart from Pier yard itself this may make it difficult for any market to succeed there.

A though about this blog here, comment management is becoming more time consuming than actually writing the posts, doing the sketches and taking the photographs. So I would urge you all to think before you comment and try and make it both related to the post and within the guidelines under the comment box. If I have to waste a lot of time dealing with emails about comments and deleting comment that fall outside of the guidelines, you will inevitably get less in the way of posts.  


I may ramble on here…. 

1 comment:

  1. Not Ramsgate based, although some of the ideas mooted will I hope start to fill the big void in expenditure between Margate and Ramsgate, there was an interesting spat on Twitter between CH and ID yesterday. It seems the current owners have been discussing building houses on the "Northern Grass" Runway and CH says he told Overview and scrutiny on the 29th April 2014 which mysteriously seems to be missing from the minutes of that meeting.
    When did CH know about the discussions and why have those discussions not been made public.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.